Saturday, March 22, 2014

3. Growth


Since 2006 to 2010 I began creating my own images.  This was a big step first in overcoming my fears, and taking full responsibility for the product, learning the value of composition, space, balance, the nuances of color, and the ever present interplay of light and shadow.

As a gift to my wife, on Valentine's Day in 2006 I painted this real life hibiscus painted on white paper with colored pencils. The inscription in Spanish reads "To the best flower in my garden -
Her Gardener"

©Ramiro Prudencio MD



The following 2 images responded to my curiosity about depicting silver and my interest in reflecting surfaces. They are rendered in colored pencil. I inherited the silver pieces from my mother so I am particularly attached to them. The dark background, also in colored pencil, highlights the brightness and shine of the metal.



©Ramiro Prudencio MD
                                                    
                                                 

©Ramiro Prudencio MD
                                                


"Queen of the Night" (Epiphyllum oxypetalum) is a tropical cactus that blooms at dusk, produces copious amounts of pollen and a strong aroma to attract bats for pollination and wilts next morning. The cutting is from my cousin's patio. I used only colored pencils on white paper. The white of the petals represents the color of the paper; the dark background was essential to brighten them and  show transparent hues of violet, pink and green as it was also helpful for highlighting dew drops. 



©Ramiro Prudencio MD
                                                         


At this time I felt the urge to try my hand in portraiture with colored pencils. This is my granddaughter Xiomara, age 3, from a photograph on the beach in Mexico. There must have been an appreciable resemblance to her because she recognized herself when I gave her the painting as a birthday gift.

©Ramiro Prudencio MD
                                                    


I was attracted to the variety of colors of bell peppers I came across at a farmers market.  This painting was also with colored pencils on white paper. I called it "Pimentones"  ( bell peppers ) and  presented it at the Botanical Art Student Exhibition at Chicago's Botanic Garden in 2012.


Pimentones (2012)

©Ramiro Prudencio MD
                                                         















No comments:

Post a Comment